Work and Energy
1. The work done by a force is the product of the force times the distance moved by the object in the direction of the force.
2. Gravity. Work done by gravity is only dependent on the vertical distance separated by the initial and final positions. It is independent of the path taken.
3. Energy is the ability to be able to do work
4. Gravitational Potential Energy … this is stored energy
5. Kinetic Energy ... From the Greek word kinetikos, meaning motion
Work done by the net force on a body is equal to the change in the kinetic energy of the body. Know the Proof.
Work-Energy Principle: Wnet = change in Ek
6. Conservation of Energy
Look at a pendulum
PG 112: 1 - 6, 9 - 11, 14.